Be independent in the mountains and learn to navigate. Mountain skills training courses are held regularly by the club. No previous experience of how to navigate is required and maps and compasses will be supplied where necessary. These courses take different formats, the most popular being the Day Navigation Walk. This consists of meeting up as usual on the South Mall and travelling to the coffee stop. Following coffee and scones there is a theory session on map reading and feature recognition for approximately an hour and a half. This is followed by a practical session on the hills for three to four hours. On the practical session walkers will have the opportunity to navigate themselves on the hills. After this the group meets up with members from the other walks at the after walk venue. Navigation walks are held regularly and typically there would be four persons on the walk.
Advantages of the Day Navigation Walk Course:
- Theory session immediately before the practical session
- The numbers on these walks will be limited to four people to insure individual attention
- The walks will be 3 to 4 hours in duration
- The course takes place on a regular walk Sunday
- The group meets up with the other members at the after walk venue
We are now scheduling Day Navigation Walks for the New Year. To book a navigation walk or for further information e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org