CBHC Club Update No. 5 – 11.03.3018
Below is Club Update No. 5. Time for another round-up on what we have on at the moment with the club:
- Final call for Leenane Easter Weekend Away – Leenane Hotel, Connemara
- Reminder for Ben Nevis Scotland
- Ballycotton Cliff Walk Sunday 18th of March
1. Cork Backpackers Easter Weekend Away – Leenane Hotel, Connemara.
We have one space left for a male in a twin share for Leenane. First to contact me can take it. For those of you who have already booked, the balance of the cost will be due to be paid up in Counihan’s on the 21st of March.
- Twin Share – €102 due if €70 deposit paid (full price €172)
- Single Room – €132 due if €70 deposit paid (full price €202)
2. Cork Backpackers June Trip to Ben Nevis Scotland.
I sent an email re the below last week and since then a group of us have made some bookings. If you have booked and intend to join us let me know.
- Flight: Ryanair from Dublin to Edinburgh Departing Friday the 1st of June @ 12.35 and returning from Edinburgh on Monday the 4th at 15.40. Expect to pay between €80 to €100 return – you need to book for yourself.
- Accommodation: Scotland Hotel and Leisure Club, Pitlochry, Scotland – expect to pay about €136 to share and about €250 for your own room for the three nights – you will need to book for yourself
- Car hire– this will be required. If you are willing to drive or want to join in another car let us know.
Please note that this will be a challenging in total 5 to 7 hour climb at a good steady pace. The accommodation is an hour and 45 minutes from Ben Nevis so it will be a very early start. We need to get climbing early so as to avoid getting caught in the large crowds coming back down. If you are game I would advise you to get booking quickly and let us know when you have done so. This will help us plan the car hire situation.
An alternative June weekend getaway back in Ireland is also being planned. I will send out details when I have them.
3. Ballycotton Chernobyl Children’s Trust cliff walk.
The annual walk is coming up this Sunday and is always a popular one with members. Each walker donates €25 to this worthwhile cause on the day outside the Pub in Ballinrostig and they can then get a bus from there to the start of the walk in Ballycotton. The walk will take you back to Ballinrostig.
As parking in Ballinrostig is very limited we have decided this year to organise a Car share for members from Ballyseedy Garden Centre to Ballinrostig. The centre will not be open and there will be no coffee stop, so make sure you are already fed and watered and bring a lunch and gear as normal.
There will also be a sign up for the walk on the club website so that we can give the organisers an idea of numbers for the buses. We will meet in Ballyseedy at 9.30am to leave at 9.45am so we are in time for people to register and be ready before the bus departure. If you are interested please sign up online, have your €25 and meet us in Ballyseedy so that we have the minimum number of cars going to Ballinrostig.
The walk is an easy gradient but is over 15km long. Organisers have told us that if anybody wanted to only do half of the walk they could walk as far as the half-way point – where they give out water and fruit etc- and let some of the volunteers know that they want to go back “now”, they will then get a lift back to the pub An Puc ar Bhuile in Ballinrostig. Please note if you do this and are car sharing you will have to wait for the rest of your car occupants and make them aware of what you have done.
Club Update No. 5